Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Party Preparation

WOULD YOU TRUST US WITH YOUR FOOD?!?!
I'm going to be hosting a small party on Saturday with Mel, which I couldn't be more excited about!!  I love parties, especially when they have good food. So hosting my own party means I get full control of what's being served.  Plus I get to make things I don't normally cook.

I don't want to go crazy, since the last time I hosted a party, which was my housewarming with Adam, I went a little overboard spending about $350 and there was a ton of wasted food.  
The idea of running out of food is terrible, but I would rather run out than have a ton of leftovers that end up in the garbage. 

We're going to have a bit of a "Picnic" theme since I want to make pulled-chicken sliders, which are SUPER easy and fun to serve.





So here's what I had in mind based on what's healthy, easy to serve and eat and the ingredients are affordable.

  • Pulled-Chicken Sliders
    • I'm going to use my crockpot to make this, so I can keep it warm and people can serve themselves.
    • Ingredients: 
      • Organic chicken breast
      • BBQ sauce - going to seek out one w/out corn syrup
      • Rolls - hoping the potato rolls are affordable since they're so tasty!
      • Cole slaw - which people can place on top or eat on the side
  • Bruchette with Sauteed Greens
    • This had great review on epicurious and sounded super easy to make. Plus this a healthy dish that vegetarians can enjoy. 
    • Ingredients:
      • Extra Virgin Olive Oil - which I already have!
      • Garlic - super cheap
      • Greens - either swiss chard, spinach or beet tops.  Going to the farmers market near McCarren Park on Saturday to see what looks best.
  • White Bean Puree with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
    • Another healthy dish that sounded delicious.  This will take a bit more time since it requires the beans to soak overnight, but it shouldn't be too difficult.  I can also make this 2 days in advance, leaving me more time to work on other dishes Saturday.
    • Ingredients: 
      • Dried Great Northern Beans - super cheap!
      • Onions - already have these.
      • Fresh Rosemary - which I can use for other dishes or just for decoration at the party.  
      • Oil-packed sun dried tomatoes - this might be expensive, but I'm sure its worth the splurge, as its super tasty!  I can use it on salads or sandwiches if I don't use it all at the party.
      • Shallots - another cheap and useful item
      • Lemons - always have these in the house, such a useful fruit!
      • Fresh Parsley - can use this for salsa or other dishes.
      • Pita, or some other starch chip to get the dip in your mouth!
  • Avocado and White Bean Salsa
    • What is a party without some salsa?!  Plus, tortilla chips are on sale at one of the supermarkets near me.
    • Ingredients:
      • Small white beans - super easy and cheap to get
      • Avocado - which is also on sale, or I wouldn't have bothered with this dish
      • Red onion - going to use this for another dish
      • Limes - another item that's necessary for any fiesta!
      • Extra-virgin olive oil - definitely have this
  • Roasted Veggie Orzo
    • I've been making a pasta salad for a few years now that I came up with using a variety of recipes.  It's fast, easy, tasty and healthy
    • Ingredients:
      • Any market fresh veggies such as tomatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, onions, carrots, etc.
      • Orzo (duh!)
      • Lemon juice
      • Extra-virgin olive oil
      • Balsamic Vinegar - something I always have on hand in my kitchen, I prefer white for this recipe
      • Spices, whatever I have on hand
  • Roasted Kale Chips
    • This recipe sounds awesome and super easy to make.  It's also something I've been meaning to make, a healthier alternative to potato chips.
    • Ingredients:
      • Kale
      • Olive Oil
    • I know, it's an extensive ingredient's list, not sure how I'll manage ;)
  • Meatballs
    • Not sure if I'm going to make this or not.  I love meatballs at parties, and they're so easy to eat with toothpicks, but I might now depending on how many red-meat-eaters are attending.  I found this recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs that sounded promising and easy to make. 
I also want to serve a fruit salad or slices of melon, depending on what's available at the farmers market or looks good at the super market.  It would also be nice to have a veggie platter with cherry tomatoes, celery, carrots, peppers and anything else that looks fresh and tasty.

Do you like my moustache?
As for desserts - that's pretty much Mel's department.  We're getting our mom to make her famous chocolate mouse, which is OUT OF THIS WORLD!  OMG you would die if you ate this, I do every time. 

Mel is awesome with desserts.  She makes this ridiculously good vegan peanut butter pie.  Perhaps even a banana pudding pie.  (typing this is making me hungry)

Yes this girl right here --------------------------------------->
She is amazinc and I <3 her

So that sounds like plenty of food for a party, right?  Then I just need to get tasty beverages, disposable plates and cups and lots of paper napkins/towels, cause we all know a mess is bound to happen.

I'm hoping to get more of my shopping done on Saturday at the farmers market.  I'm a fan of fresh, affordable and local foods!  I'll be following up later this week to let you all know how its coming along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment