Friday, March 4, 2011

A Food Tornado!

I've been naughty and haven't been updating this blog lately, so right now, this very second I will overwhelm you with LOTS OF FOOD I HAVE EATEN!!!! AHHHHH!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

No but seriously... I figured I might as well tell you a little about what I've been putting into this belly o' mine.


Valentine's Day Dinner by Adam


Firstly, on Sunday, the day before Valentine's Day, my fabulous boyfriend Adam decided that cooking me dinner was not only romantic but awesome. Which it was. He totally surprised me and forced me to watch some TV (at the time I was finishing up season 4.5 of Battlestar Galatica, yes I am just that cool).

It was not only Adam's first attempt at cooking shrimp but also tuna, which I thought was great. Here we have garlic shrimp, which was super tasty with a real nice tang of orange and garlic, pan-seared tuna with lemon and dill, which was also very yummy. He was surprised by how quickly the tuna cooked up and would have preferred it a little more rare, but I thought it was still very good. We also have some brown rice and green beans cooked with chopped almonds - which was REALLY good. I never thought to cook with almonds, but Adam has inspired me to try some new ideas.

Overall it was a magical meal and I couldn't have been happier. Thank you Adam for being such a good boyfriend. Love you!

Kielbasa and eggs at 3D Manhattan Restaurant

Next on our delicious food tour is breakfast at Manhattan Three Decker Restaurant in Greenpoint, my hood. They recently renovated and expanded their hours, so when we're lazy and indecisive about where to go, we come here. They have kick-ass cheap breakfast and yummy home fries. Since we're in Greenpoint, why not get some kielbasa with my eggs. Adam was feeling healthy, so he did a grilled chicken salad (BORING!) My food was okay, not amazing, but what do you expect from a diner. It was satisfying and I had plenty of kielbasa left over for breakfast in the morning.

Cowgirl Tuna Tossed Salad

And last on our adventure is a salad I get often enough that I should have mentioned this sooner. My boss is a HUGE fan of Cowgirl Catering, which has a small location in the basement of 875 Third Ave (just go down the escalators, you can't miss it). It's super busy, but the line goes fast and they have lots of options, not just salads. Sometimes when there is a long line, a guy comes around offering pita chips and coconut shrimp samples for free!

All the salads are pre-made in these large containers, so you just point to what you want and they scoop it into either a small or large bowl. There are only 2 salads I can actually eat here since the rest come with cheese. Stupid cheese!

I always get the Tuna Salad, seen above, which has lettuce (of course, duh), canned tuna, boiled egg (I always ask for a lot, yum!), red onions, tomatoes, green beans, boiled red potato and olives. It's a tasty, hearty, fresh salad that's served with a nice balsamic dressing. The meal also comes with choice of bread or fresh baked pita chips. I go for the pita chips since they're super crunchy and flavorful. The meal also comes with a fresh baked cookie and either fruit salad or jello. Their jello is TOO sweet so I always pick the fruit. All this food for $6! However, they recently started charging tax so it costs a little more now, but still a bargain for Midtown East. I hate that food is so damn expensive in the midtown, so I don't get this too often since its only a 1x meal. I usually go for a meal that will leave me leftovers for the next day, reducing the overall cost per meal significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment