Thursday, March 10, 2011

Matzoh Ball Soup

I'm sick... and when I'm feeling like poo, I always make some yummy chicken soup. For some strange reason I was craving matzoh ball soup. Usually I make a really elaborate chicken soup with lots of root vegetables, but matzoh balls take up so much room and provide plenty of starch so I went with a really easy, simple soup that ANYONE can do. Seriously, even if you can't make chicken soup YOU, yes I'm talking to you, can make this. Trust me, it's that easy.

What you'll need for the soup:
  • Chicken with skin, the skin is what makes the chicken soup oh so good, its what breaks up mucus, hence why chicken soup is good when you're sick. I use only certified humane chicken, happy chickens. I used a chicken thigh package of Murray's Chicken, which contains 3 chicken thighs. Plenty for a small pot of soup.
  • 2 large carrots, cut into small pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 large celery stalks, chopped
  • Small egg noodles
  • salt for taste
For the Matzoh Balls, I used the Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix. It's SUPER easy to make, must follow the directions. I get the re-sealable container so I can make it anytime I want and the serving makes 7 perfect sizes balls. What you'll need for this, which is listed on the box, are 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and salt.

Be sure to follow the directions by placing the mix, once prepared, in a sealed container in the fridge for 15 minutes before you're ready to put them in the simmering water. Also, don't crowd the balls because they get large quickly. I usually use two pots to make sure there is plenty of room. Also, keep the mix loose while you gently drop it into the simmering water. To prevent the mix from sticking to your hands, wet your hands in water before you grab the mix. The looser the balls are before they drop into the water, the fluffier they will be. (Doesn't this sound dirty?)

Okay, back to the soup.

Step 1:

Boil water in a big pot.

Step 2:

Add everything into the pot once the water is boiling, this includes the chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped celery and the chicken. Remember to clean the chicken in running water to make sure its perfect before going into your pot.

Step 3:

Let everything simmer in the pot for a while until the veggies are nice and tender and the chicken fully cooked. Remove the chicken, put on a plate and place in the fridge (you want to do this so you can pick the meat off the bones without burning your fingers). Once the chicken it out of the pot, put the noodles in. When the chicken is not hot like molten lava, remove the meat and put back into the soup.

Note: I was doing all this while making the matzoh balls in two different pots. You DO NOT want to cook the matzoh balls in the same pot as the soup.

Once the noodles are cooked, you're ready to serve! YAY! This is what is looks like:



Matzoh Ball Soup



No comments:

Post a Comment