Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sassy Salmon

On a roll this week with the healthy food (don't worry I'm eating a burger for dinner tonight), I made a fun salmon dish highlighted in this month's Cooking Light.

Salmon with Tomato Peach Salsa

I followed the recipe closely, but added a couple of items that I had around the house.

Everything was quick to pick up and I didn't spend all that much for such a tasty dinner.


What you'll need
  • 1 cup chopped peeled peach (I used 2 peaches, 1 nectarine)
  • 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes (I used a whole box of grape tomatoes instead)
  • 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion (definitely used more than this)
  • 3 tablespoons small fresh mint leaves (I chopped these)
  • 3 tablespoons small fresh basil leaves (also chopped this)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 jalapeƱo pepper, thinly sliced (optional) - did not use this, couldn't find fresh ones
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 4 (6-ounce) wild Alaskan king salmon fillets - My supermarket only offered regular salmon
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • Cooking spray - I used a George Foreman grill to cook my salmon, so didn't use this at all!

To start, I sliced my grape tomatoes, which took some time but it was very relaxing.  For some reason chopping veggies relaxes me.  I actually volunteer to do this every week at God's Love We Deliver



Cherry TomatoesAnyhoo, here is what it looked like when I was done.

They remind me of jewels, they were so red and perfect.  I could have just eaten this with a little salt and lemon.  SO GOOD!

Lots of pretty colors








Next I chopped the peaches, onions and added 2 small plums and half an avocado that was slowly dying in my fridge.

The peaches weren't ripe enough so they were a pain to de-pit, but I managed.

Everything else was a breeze to cut.  I didn't even cry from chopping the onions.  I can cry from looking at a picture of an onion, I'm so sensitive.  :(

All the ingredients


Then I chopped the mint and the basil.

They smelled like heaven and although I only used a little bit, I put them in a pretty vintage-looking can and added some water.  Basil grows roots if you place it in water.  It's the only plant I don't manage to kill.

I'll see if the mint does the same thing.  With my luck, it'll be dead by the end of the week.  I suck at caring for plants.

Here is the final product after adding the lemon juice, olive oil and honey. 
It was the perfect combination of sweet and tangy.  


Salmon with Peach Tomato Salsa
I then warmed up the grill, and threw the clean filet on with a little salt and pepper.  After about 5 minutes, it was perfectly cooked.  With a side of baby spinach, this was the perfect summer meal!

Salmon with Peach Tomato SalsaMel and I ate it up and raved about how fresh and tasty it was.  I made too much salsa, so I saved some to eat with chicken or something else later this week.

Perhaps even some tortilla chips?! Yum!


Here's a photo showing the actual salmon.  Mel said the first photo just looked like a giant pile of salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment