Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cheap and Naughty

I've been going on and on lately about eating healthy, but let's face it - food that's terrible for you usually TASTES SO GOOD!!

Recently I went to two delicious eateries to enjoy a few guilty pleasures of mine.  Both also happen to be super cheap eats, so the wallet is happy, but your arteries not so much.  It's a game of give and take, I guess.

The Habitat Brooklyn

This is one of my most favorite bars in my neighborhood.  Not only is it really cute and cozy, like sitting on someone's back porch eating some great pub grub and drinking delicious beer, but the staff is ALWAYS so friendly.  I'm seriously serious (ha!) that they are always so welcoming, helpful and patient.  They also don't serve crap beer, only delicious craft beer.  There is little worse than walking into a bar and realizing everything they have on tap is gross and from a major beer company (i.e. Bud, Miller) These bastards buy up the little guys, fuck with their recipes and then serve it to the dumb masses that don't know better.  I digress...

So back to The Habitat - which is positively lovely - and they have really great deals on weekdays.

Tuesday might be my most favorite of their specials, 35 hot wings!!!! (Note that it used to be 25 cent wings, but times are a changing).  Although they have other great specials such as $5 mac n' cheese night (which I will never partake in), $8 burger night (which happens to be tonight's deal) and really good brunch on the weekends.

Every so often, my fabulous lil sister will drag me (okay, she doesn't drag, its more like she just says "hot wings" and I skip happily over) to The Habitat to enjoy some cheap, spicy, crispy, perfect hot wings.

They really are perfect in every sense of the word.  Some places offer crappier versions during their cheap wing night, but not here.  You get premium wings and they're just spicy enough to add a little zing to your step.  They're covered in just enough sauce to be finger-licking good, and they don't care if you just enjoy a ton of wings with a glass of water.  They're super nice regardless of how much you spend there.

We usually order a ton to share with extra veggies.  Mel likes the carrots and I like the celery.  It's a win, win situation.  To prevent a heart attack, I usually get a side salad, which is large and lovely for only $5.  


Here is the fabulous deal in all its glory!  They come out fast, fresh and hot.  I have no idea how their blue cheese dip is, but it must be good since I've witnessed friends use the wing as a utensil for eating the dip.  Gross, but to each his own.  If it were up to me, it would be okay to lick one's plate clean.  Adam hates when I do this at home, so I do it alone, when only my cat can judge me, and I don't care what Icarus thinks of me, he licks his balls.

Anyhoo, this place is great, their food is fantastic and I recommend checking it out even for a cold beer and a fun place to hang out.

Next on my list of guilty pleasures is...


The Stagg's Head

This is pretty much the only cool pub near where I work in Midtown East.  I don't want to say I hate this area, because there is plenty to eat and drink.  I just hate most of the people in it.  I hate douche frat boys who need to grow up and the skanky-ass bitches that tag along for the ride and complain about everything.  Thanks, but no thanks.  If you're with me on this one, stay way from Turtle Bay, the beehive of douche-bagery.

The Stagg's Head and its staff are fabulous.  I've had the pleasure of witnessing one bartender literally laugh at someone's request for a Heineken, by saying "we don't serve shit beer, go somewhere else."  LOVE IT!  So yeah, they also serve only craft beer and usually have fun tasting events.

They also have a lovely lunch special that I enjoy once in a blue moon.  (The actual moon, not the shit wheat beer).  For $10 you get a choice between a burger and fries, fish and chips, a chicken pot pie and a shepherds pie accompanied with a half pint o' beer.

It is a lovely lunch special and I've enjoyed the burger/fries, which is delicious as well as the fish and chips which is equally delicious.

Recently I tried their shepherds pie and it was by far the best I've ever had!!


It was enormous enough to satisfy the largest of appetites.  It was cooked perfectly with lots of ground beef, carrots and peas with creamy mashed potatoes on top.  Each bite was heavenly and every sip of my mini beer to wash down this masterpiece was magnificent.  The only issue with this lunch is the severe itis you will endure at work afterward.  If only I could enjoy a short man nap under my desk, but alas work needs to get done.

The other nice thing about The Stagg's Head is they have a lovely little back area to enjoy a drink or some grub outdoors on a nice day.  Its super cozy and lets you forget you have work or a life to get back to.

If you come here for a drink, definitely try their hot wings and their mini burgers which are fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment