Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Healthy, Tasty weekend!

I've been trying to watch what I eat and stay within my 1800 calories-per-day regiment as I get in shape for the warmer months.  I'm usually not that successful, but at least I'm trying.
As I get older, I realize that what I put into my body is so much more important.  Your metabolism slows down and I know that what I eat can have a huge effect on fertility.  I want to be a mom someday, so I better be careful now while I can.  There is no rewind button on life, so be careful what you do with the body that you have.  (Aren't you proud, mom?)

So this weekend I did attempt to eat healthier, with the help of Adam who have been on a real health-kick lately.  He's lost some weight, is working out and generally look damn sexy.  I'm a lucky girl, what can I say?

I've been craving sushi ever since Chicago and Adam decided it was okay for our diets, so to sushi we went!

When it comes to sushi, there is only one place we go to in our area - Sapporo Haru Japanese.
My friend, Erika, recommended this place to me ages ago and its so great that I refuse to try anywhere else. Honestly, Erika did extensive research (as in she literally tried every single one in the area) as to which Japanese restaurant was the best, so why would I bother with somewhere else?

At one point Sapporo has bad service because they became busy and didn't have enough staff, but they remedied that situation and now its fantastic all around. My only word of precaution is ordering delivery from them on the weekend.  They're so busy it'll take over an hour, so just get off your rump and walk over there instead.

They were super busy, so we were offered seats at the sushi bar.  I was really excited because I never had a chance to sit here and watch the magic happen.  Unfortunately I'm too damn short and couldn't see over the fish fridge they have on display.  We did get to see all their amazing sushi creations dressed up on pretty plates before the waitresses swept them away to their tables.

Over the last year, I've come to love sashimi instead of sushi.  I just want the fish, nothing else.  No rice, no fancy veggies or fruit or spicy mayo.  Just give me a perfect, fresh slice of succulent fish.  Sure all those fancy rolls can be a lot of fun and can make sushi exciting, but its a lot of filler distracting you from the main reason you're going there - the fish!

Adam and I sat contently at the bar, ordered two miso soups (a first for Adam), seaweed salad and a large platter of sashimi.

2011-04-02 21.06.01I LOVE miso soup.  It's so warm and comforting, especially on a cold day.  The tofu is so creamy that it melts in your mouth.  The seaweed is fun to eat and the scallions add a little crunch to the whole thing.

I was always worried that there was a lot of sodium in it, or that it was unhealthy but apparently its really good for you!  Go ahead, google "miso soup health benefits" and you'll see a ton on it.

Not all miso soup is created equal though, as Sapporo's is particularly delicious.
2011-04-02 21.05.43
I never tried their seaweed salad, but it looked gorgeous when someone else ordered it.  Even Adam asked in excitement, "what is that!?"

We ordered it and were very pleased with the results.  It was crunchy with a nice sesame flavor.  Also a very healthy dish to order.

If it were up to me, we would have gone with the pork gyoza, which is why I suck at diets.  I need Adam there to go "No Jaci, think about how unhealthy that is" and make me feel bad.  I need someone to guilt trip me into healthy submission!!!

2011-04-02 21.16.38

Finally the main event happened and were couldn't have been happier.  We specifically asked for not octopus or mackerel.  I like octopus, but prefer mine cooked.  Mackerel is just too fishy for me, which is saying a lot since I grew up on sardines.

The fish was fresh and delicious.  They were fantastic for giving us extra salmon.  I love me some salmon, its my favorite fish ever.  The white tuna was great and the yellowtail is just too yummy.  We ate it all with smiles on our faces.

Adam wasn't entirely full and ordered himself a scope of green tea ice-cream.  I did have myself a teeny, tiny taste of his ice cream, just enough to make me immensely jealous that he can eat dairy without issue.

The great thing about Sapporo Haru Japanese is that its really inexpensive for the quality that you're getting.  Our total bill came out to about $30.  They also have free hot green tea and free hot sake if you order over $10 per person.  We skipped drinking since we were heading to a Anniversary Party in the UES.  The night was young and my liver could do without some pre-gaming.  I'm not a spring chicken anymore, ya know.

The following day, my friend Zac Attack and I hit up some brunch.  There are these new brunch places I haven't tried out, so on a nice day we figured it was about time we explored other options in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area.

We decided on meeting at The Bedford, located on - you guessed it - Bedford Ave.  We met at about 1pm and were surprised there were tables available.  They even had outdoor seating and plopped our tired selves down at an empty table.  No one else was outside, so it took a while before someone came over to take our order.

The menu was short, but interesting.  They focused on farm-to-table foods that were seasonal.  Something I liked very much, since eating seasonal means your most likely eating local.

I was immediately drawn to their fried chicken, but was disappointed to discover they didn't have that available.  However, they did have an Eggs Benedict special, featuring crab hollandaise sauce.  I know what you're thinking - that is NOT healthy.  But I did walk there and walk home and walked all around the area, so I figured I would just walk off the fat from brunch.  LET ME LIVE A LITTLE!  P.S. Adam wasn't there to stop me, now was he?

We both ordered the special as well as a tea and coffee.  Tea for me, coffee for him.  I don't drink coffee, unless its espresso and I don't like American espresso beans.  Sorry, I'm picky.

Anyhoo, it took a little while for it to come out but it was SO worth the wait. 

2011-04-03 13.56.32

Have you ever seen anything more beautiful in your life?  Okay, I know that's a serious statement to make, but at the time I could have cried I was so happy.  

2011-04-03 13.56.20It was absolutely fantastic. Might have been the best brunch ever.  Again another bold statement that I'll probably regret, but I loved this dish.  I would eat this every day if I could.

To start, the english muffin was fresh baked and softer that a store bought one.  It was perfectly toasted and did a great job of soaking up the liquid yolk from the eggs.

Next there was pan-fried ham, which was delicious.  It had little bits that were crispy and added a little crunch to the meal.   The eggs were perfectly poached with cooked white and a gooey center.

The best part, of course, was the hollandaise sauce which had little bits of fresh crab meat.  They really provided a great portion of crab throughout the dish.  It wasn't too fishy, just enough to make this a Surf and Turf Benedict.  Every bite was PERFECTION.

Zac and I couldn't stop talking about how good this was and practically licked our plates clean.  At one point we weren't even talking to each other, just savoring every bite.

Our server was apparently new to the job, so another serve came over to clean up and bring us our check.  They apologized for the delay and ended up not charging us for the drinks.  I love this place!  I hope no one else finds out about it so I can keep it a secret and have it all to myself. Bwahahah!  I know that will never work, but will find a way to come back here again very soon.  Perhaps even for dinner!

The only other amazing meal I had over the weekend what a very special peanut butter and jelly sandwich that Adam makes me at the cafe he works at part-time on the weekends.
2011-04-02 17.21.24
Lately I've been a hungry hippo looking for a healthy snack, so he made this for me to satisfy my hangry side.  (Note: hangry = hungry + angry)

It's natural peanut butter with no sugar/salt added with raspberry jam on toasted pumpernickel.

To wash this deliciousness down, a grapefruit Fizzy Lizzy.  If you haven't experienced the awesomeness that is a Fizzy Lizzy, definitely check it out.  It's just real fruit juice and soda water, only 100 calories per bottle!

Thank you Adam for the delicious snack!  I loved every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment