Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Little Southern Hospitality

A few of my favorite lady friends, Laura and Stephanie, and I go about once a month to an unhealthy eatery to try something different.  Lately we've been on a BBQ state-of-mind and have already tried a few places with mixed reviews including Blue Smoke BBQ, Virgil's Real Barbeque, and RUB (Righteous Urban Barbeque) BBQ.  Personally I thought Blue Smoke was the best of the three, but they all have something tasty to offer.
Friday, we hit up Southern Hospitality's BBQ on Second Ave, not to be confused with the one on 9th Ave.  There was a ScoutMob coupon, so naturally it was a perfect fit to satisfy our craving for meat slathered in sauce.

They don't take reservations, so we just showed up at 7pm.  I actually walked there from my job in midtown as a way to burn off calories before the big game.  Hey - every little bit helps, ya know.

We were seated without issue and proceeded to order a few menu items to share.  We got a full rack of baby back ribs, the chicken dinner plate and I went for a side of fried shrimp.  We decided not to order too many dishes for fear of leftovers, which is something we always end up doing.

By the time the food came out, which wasn't very long, we just pigged out. 
BBQ Babyback Ribs

The poor BBQ Ribs didn't stand a chance.  We went at them before I had a chance to take a photo.

They were so pretty too, alas, I got what I could but it doesn't look all that good.

The ribs were actually really good.  They were falling off the bone and the bbq sauce wasn't too sweet.  I could have eaten these all night!

Fried Chicken

There was something wrong with the fried chicken.  It looked good, but when I went to pick a piece off, it was hard as a rock!  It was the driest fried chicken in world.

We ended up not eating it at all, but enjoyed the sides.

The mashed potatoes were great and the cole slaw was sweet and crunch.  It's a shame about the fried chicken.  It was weird that the neck of the chicken was battered and stuck to the breast.  It looked like someone just threw a whole chicken into the batter and fried it up.  Clearly something was very wrong, but they were nice enough to not charge us for this dish.

Fried Shrimp
The fried shrimp, however, were FANTASTIC!  I had already started digging into them before I realized "Oh no, I didn't take a photo!"

I was too excited, so one shrimp is already bitten into and one is already in my belly!

I would come back just for the fried shrimp.  Perfectly batters, with fresh sweet shrimp on the inside.  Also a good tarter sauce.  A total win for Jaci's belly!
Also note that the menu said 4 shrimp for $5.99, but instead got 6 or 7 shrimp. Yay!

Corn Bread
Our entrees came with a few sides, so we decided to split everything.

We ordered the cornbread (pictured to the right) which was overdone in certain spots.  I didn't bother wasting calories on it.

It's a shame that they actually charge you a little extra to order this with your meal.  It was SO not worth it.  Oh well!
Mac and Cheese
Laura and Stephanie are cheese eaters, especially Miss Mouse (my endearing nickname for Stephanie), so naturally we had to order the Mac n' Cheese.  It was only until recently that Stephanie discovered the joys that is macaroni mixed with lots of ooey gooey cheese.  The sight of it makes me gag, but to each her own.

I can see the grease in this thing and am SO glad I can't touch it for fear of death.  But they loved the hell out of it.  Except Stephanie was ill from it before she made it to the train station.  (Sorry to hear you were sick, sweetie!)

Pulled Pork Sliders

Due to the fried chicken situation, Laura ordered the pulled pork sliders to ensure full gluttony was achieved during this engagement.

We each enjoyed one and it was really good!  They were served on a perfectly mini potato bun (the best kinds of buns) with a little dollop of cole slaw.

All were topped with thin fried onions.  Total yum fest!

Dessert was not an option as our guts hung over the table a few inches.  It was a good meal and I as sufficiently satisfied with our ridiculous caloric intake.  I should have walked home.... but the food coma hit and I was done for.

Overall Southern Hospitality is nothing special.  It's a decent BBQ joint with all the types of food you can expect to get.  I think the quality was above average but nothing amazing.  The staff was fine and the decor was underwhelming.  I don't know why everyone talks about this place.  It really is just another BBQ place in the city.  But I enjoyed it and was happy to do so with ScoutMob which made our meal unbelievably affordable.  All this food for about $30.  Thank you ScoutMob!

No comments:

Post a Comment